Friday, May 2, 2008

the Ultrasound

Today was the big day! The day we've been waiting for. The day I scheduled, marked on the calendar, found babysitters, then rescheduled, re-marked on the calendar, and re-found a babysitter.

And then last night, after Kortney fell asleep between us on our bed watching a movie on our tiny DVD player, Neil got sick. He was up three or four times last night hugging that cold porcelain. Poor guy. In the morning, I asked him how he was feeling, and he sarcastically said, "Oh, great." But he's not one to ask for sympathy or to ever call in sick to work, so I knew he was still planning on going to this only doctor appointment he ever attends with me. I reminded him, "You know, they said I could take a DVD and we could record it. Then I could just bring it home for you to watch." Obviously he thought that was a ridiculous idea, and said, "No. I'll go." What a trooper. I don't know why he thought it was so important this time. He was convinced it was another girl. If you've seen three girl ultrasounds, you've seen 'em all, you know? He has been telling me "If this is another girl, we're done" (I love to remind him that he said that last time). And, of course, if it's a boy, he would have to have a brother, or else he might end up too "girly", he thinks.

I told the girls this morning that they got to go to Trey's house while Dad and I went to the doctor to find out if the baby was healthy, and if we were having a boy or a girl. I'm surprised they even heard the last part of my speech, they were so excited to go to Trey's house. But Kortney said, "Mommy, we're having a baby brother!" I said, "Oh, you think so? What do you think, Taylor?" Of course, choosing the opposite of Kortney she told me, "No! It's a baby sister!" So I left them to argue back and forth while I finished getting ready.

Neil met me at the doctor's office, pale as a ghost, and as the ultrasound tech went through her little exam of the baby, she pointed out different body parts. "Here's the heart, here's a little hand..." and finally she said, "Here's a leg, here's a leg, and there's the third leg!" It took us both a second to register that she just told us we were having a boy. How exciting! Neil was dumbfounded. Probably a little tired, too, but he was shocked. How fun! I told him we'd have to buy blue paint now (wait - did I ever even buy pink?). Well, she gave us plenty of photo souvenirs, and showed Neil once or twice more that yes- it's definitely a boy. Wow! According to Neil (and he's joking- please don't get him wrong), we've finally done something right. But it was funny talking to him afterwards. I asked him what he thought of it all, and he answered, "Man. I was kind of hoping we were done." It's funny how Heavenly Father reminds us of the promises of our hearts. Never compromise with Him unless you're committed to fulfill your part, because He will always fulfill His! I'm grateful to know that this baby looks healthy as well. We're excited to have one more in our little family!

15 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Yay - congrats!!!!! Cute ultrasound picture too. Looks like he's dancing The Monkey in there. Hey, if you ever want to inherit any boy stuff.... you know who to call. :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I always find it so interesting how ABSOLUTELY different boys are then girls. They are definately wired different :)

Hope Neil gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on having a boy! I am SO excited for you! But I would have been equally excited if it was a girl too. But definitely exciting to have a different sex!

Andrea said...

Yay!!!!!! Congrats to Neil! (and you of course:)

Erin said...

Congrats!! I of course have lots of boy experience and very little girl experience. They are so fun. Like I always say my 3 boys combined are easier than my 1 emotional girl.

Cossebooms said...

That is so exciting!!! Yeah for Neil, and you. Boys are so much fun and different than girls. No hair bows, no skirts, no pink. Glad to hear the baby is healthy. We wish you the best with the rest of the pregnancy.

Erin said...

I also like how you are changing to blue already. You just need two more girls and you will have the Jones family. I would not recommend keeping up with the Jones';)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! That is so exciting. It will be fun for your family to have a baby brother. You are gonna be busy!

Lorena said...

HOORAY!!!

See, you can make boys!

Porters said...

When I clicked on your link for your blog I first noticed it was blue. I just thought, oh she changed colors and then I saw the ultra sound picture, the color gave it away. Congratulations, with the news its a boy!! When we found out that we were going to have another baby Paul and I knew it would be a boy. So then we went for the ultra sound and they told us we were like okay. My doctor was like are you excited we both looked at eachother and said ya but we already knew it was going to be a boy. She was a little puzzled but didn't really say anything else. Little boys are so much different from little girls - it will be great!

Blake and Breanna said...

Yay thanks for the call the other day to tell me. I was so shocked and excited for you guys. I can't wait to see him.

Cami said...

Congrats you guys! This will be so much fun for your family!

Sara Hollobaugh said...

CONGRATS!! That is very exciting. Now he gets to have 4 moms, only 3 of them will be a little bossier and mean!! I can't wait to see what he looks like!!

Carter Family said...

Congrats!!!! Thats so exciting for you guys. I am sure Neil can't wipe that grin off his face.

mindy said...

Congratulations!! It gives me hope.