
We don't do everything right with our family, but we sure are trying, and I know the Lord has helped us as we've tried. Neil and I read an Ensign article from a couple months ago that talked about having regular individual time (or "PPI's" as Neil likes to call them) with our children, to spend some time with them, and ask them how they're doing, to know what's going on in our childrens' lives, even when they're young. The author of the article called it, "Daddy Sunday", and his own kids looked forward to it each month. Neil remembers his dad having the same kind of things with each of them growing up, and was excited to start the tradition in our own family. I'm sure others of you may have had the same type of things with your dads growing up, too. Everyone I know of has had fond memories of time with their Dads. We decided to do this regularly on the first Sunday of each month. I hope we're good about keeping it up, because the girls loved their time with Daddy. After church, he BBQ'd us a great dinner, gave them each a father's blessing, and then asked them what they wanted to do. He ended up coloring with them while they all watched a Joseph Smith cartoon, then they made cookies while he asked them how they were doing, how they were getting along, and what Kortney liked best about school, etc. It was great, because I got dinner and cookies out of it, and didn't have to do a thing (well, except wash the dishes afterwards =/). I'd love it if dinner each month is always part of the deal! Kortney was sure to mention in her prayers last night how grateful she was for "Daddy Sunday".
11 comments:
Such a cute idea!!! I love that. We need to have more Daddy/kid one on one time.
You guys are such an awesome family-I seriously look up to you in so many ways! Thanks for always being such great examples!
Ahhh...they look like they had so much fun with their daddy time. What a great tradition to start!
What a great tradition to start with your family. My kids love it when their dad pushes them on the tree swing, I can only guess how excited they would get for daddy sunday. Thanks for sharing that wonderful idea with all of us.
That's such a great idea. I remember doing that with my dad too. You guys are so good.
What a fun idea. Your girls will treasure those memories.
We need to do something along those lines, it is really good for girls to have a good realtionship with their daddy!
Thanks for the idea. That sounds terrific. As you know our dad is gone so much that we have been trying to figure out a way for the time we have together to be of more quality. It is truly inspired that you put this up, I think. I wish we were going to be seeing you this weekend. It was so fun to see you last year.
That's so wonderful!!! I'm sure the girls will always cherish that time!
You always come up with the greatest ideas! How fun for the girls. We need to try doing that. You think about things like that when their older but it would be best to start at a younger age. Your wonderful. I think dinner and dessert should be part of the tradition.
Great idea! It sounds like a lot of fun, and one more reason to look forward to Sundays!
Post a Comment