We drove up to Kelly Canyon this weekend to pick "kuckleberries", as Emmrie called them. I guess we're pretty late this year, so we didn't find many, but the few we found have been great. They're like gold, and people don't easily disclose their picking spots, since these berries only grow wild. Thanks to Bre for letting us know where to look, we found only about a pint or two, but it was a great family outing. Kortney was a gung-ho huckleberry picker. Taylor was a great picker, too, but ate more berries than she contributed to the family stash, and poor Emmrie had to concentrate more on staying verticle, because she got tripped by every low-hanging branch and rock we came across. We let her eat our berries just to keep her from screaming how much fun she wasn't having. Rhett was a little eating machine, chowing down about as many leaves as berries while Neil was down low picking. Neil's Canadian-side family picks huckleberries in B.C. every year at their family reunion (but we haven't been in a while), and he was very disappointed that there were so few here compared to Canada. I think it's just late in the season. Hopefully he'll want to go again next year.
These were berries close to the road, hence the layer of dirt.
Kortney with her own bucket to fill.
Taylor and Kali had lots of fun exploring.
2 comments:
What a fun family outing. I never have picked "kuckleberries" because I don't think I am patient enough!
Good job you guys. Next year go a little earlier. Tell Neil he just missed them. They were LOADED this year but you have to be fast. They are like purple gold! Enjoy your kuckleberries!
Post a Comment