Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tee Time

Neil found a new hobby. Totally not the kind of sport I would've ever imagined for the guy, but he seriously loves it, and I'm glad. He went golfing with some guys from the ward one Saturday morning a while back, then bought some of his own clubs and got in some golf tournament with his boss, and it has just gotten him. He even mentioned that he should just sell his dirtbike, since he only rode it once this summer. I had to put some sense into him, and said, "Yeah, then your brothers will castrate you. No way!" (I can't believe I didn't jump on the offer to sell the bike!)His dad thinks golf is a sissy game (probably because he's never played), and can't believe Neil wastes his time with it. This is the mentality he grew up with, which is why I'm surprised he wants to golf so much despite his family's prejudice. He likes to go to the driving range at night to hit a few, and he even plays it on the Wii now! I've caught him a few times sneaking a polo shirt out of the house on his way to work so that he and his boss can quit after lunch to play a round. He keeps his clubs in his truck sometimes for that reason, too. He even traded a precious hunting item for another set of clubs! I guess I'm just glad that we live in Idaho where he can only golf during non-snow months, and that, unlike dirtbiking, he can go in the morning and still be back by noon or earlier. I'm really just glad he found something he likes. He's like a little kid with a new toy. We'll see if it's just a phase, or if it consumes him, and then I just hate it!
Tell me your "hubby hobbies", and whether you like them or hate them!

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Football! James' obsession with football has grown every year I've known him. Last month he spent every hour he was home making a matrix on excel that has every college game, where they are, when they start, what channels they will be on. It drove me nuts! Luckily this year I work on Saturdays, so I don't have to be home when football is on for 16 hours straight. There are a few teams I like, though, BYU and the Colts. I complain, but I think it's good for everyone to have a hobby. Good luck with golf!

Cossebooms said...

Wow!! That's cool!! I think it's great he has found another hobby he likes. I'm surprised he thought of selling his bike and traded a hunting item. How fun for Neil. Bruce's hobbies are ASU football, paintballing, raquetball/basketball with friends and video game night with buddies. Luckily he doesn't do paintballing very often. But when he does plan his big yearly outing I have to hear about it for months!! I have my things too. So I guess it's great we have our own things we like to do. Now all you need is a picture of him golfing.

Anonymous said...

I don't like his hobby. He's made himself invisible for way too long. ;)

Carter Family said...

I don't know if you would call them hobbies but all he does in his extra time is study for the LSAT that he for sure is going to take in October. I have been hearing about this for a year now!! And he is obsessed with his MP3 player. He takes things off and puts new things on it all of the time. He will spend a great deal of time at least once a week rearranging, changing and doing who knows what on that thing! I guess I should be happy right now because neither one really costs us much money:)

lundgrenville said...

Wow! That is impressive. Never pictured Neil as a golfing kinda guy, but hey if it keeps him out of trouble...then go for it.
Saul has taken up mountain biking. He has a really expensive mountain bike that he has added a lot of upgrades to. He goes with a few other guys that are avid mountain bikers. They go up to the mountain off of Hawes road often. They love the night riding the best, with the full moon. I guess it makes it for a more scary ride. (If he comes home with out any cactus thorns in him, then it was a good ride)
He is so addicted, that he now finds excuses to go to the grocery store, just so he can ride his bike.
He rides about 25 miles plus a week & loves it.
Oh, and I guess the best part about it for me, is that he is finally gaining some muscle on that bod of his.
Just an idea of how in shape he FINALLY is...He rode his bike home from Cold Stone, which is about 4 miles from our house. I drove the kids in the van. HE BEAT US HOME!! I couldnt believe it. Im telling you, hes got legs of steel!!

Andrea said...

Derik likes a lot of things, but doesn't get really hooked on one thing. I would like him to get a hobby that gets him out with friends though..he needs some guy time. tell Neil to get him out there!

Stacy said...

Once you posted a song on your blog called "I'm still a guy" and I think of you guys every time I hear that song, but I am glad he found something he likes. My hubby likes to um.. he works. He's building a house. I guess that's his hobby. He takes the dog swimming and he likes to rent movies.

Cami said...

Paul loves golf too, he would go more often if he could. I know he wants to get better at it. He even bought me my own clubs after going twice in hopes that it would become a hobby of mine. Hasn't happened yet, and probably won't. He also loves BYU football so this time of year he pretty much always is thinking about some game.

Kristen, Spencer, Brendan, Isaac, and Bryce said...

Spencer loves to golf. His golf clubs are pretty much always in his trunk. He just went this afternoon as a matter of fact. I think it is great for him to get out with a buddy or two and have some downtime (especially since he's really great about letting me get out with the girls!). Next time we're out there the guys can go golfing while we play. :)

Sara Hollobaugh said...

I am glad Neil has found a hobby he likes and glad for you it cannot be all year long!! Linus loves flying. I do not mind him doing it because he enjoys it soo much and makes him happy. I do not enjoy how much it costs!!

Christina and Jeff said...

Besides football, Jeff loves to work around the house fixing and building things. Personally, golf has always been boring but men love it!! I'm glad Neil found a fun hobby!!!

Anonymous said...

Jon loves to go golfing, but doesn't get to go very often. Softball is definitely his favorite. Which is good with me, most of the time. We can go and watch most of the time, which the kids love. I am glad that softball season will be over in a few weeks though.

Amberlee said...

As I'm sure you well know Ed's is totally dirt biking and snow mobiling. I'm okay with it most of the time. How come their hobbies can't be sitting at home with us? I guess that's just too boring! That's great that Neil is enjoying golf.