Okay, so I've mentioned before how Kortney loves to twirl and sing really loud in Primary. This past Sunday I was sustained as the new primary president, and let me tell you how much I laughed, and how embarrassed I got. We in the new presidency got to sit in the back of sharing time to observe and talk to the outgoing presidency. Well, my second counselor, Sarah, has a little girl named Kylie in Kortney's Sunbeam class who is just as loud and just as twirly, and she and I were sitting next to each other in the back row on Sunday. The children were practicing the song "I'm Trying to be like Jesus", which Kortney and her friend Kylie know very well. The outgoing presidency, by the way, can't tell us enough about how entertaining our little girls have been, that they make primary fun, and they both know the words to the songs, so they let them sing and dance all they want. I was grateful they're so understanding. During this very sweet song, Kortney and Kylie suddenly started competing, obviously, to show each other who could sing the song the loudest. I don't even think they knew we were in the room behind them. Sarah and I kept looking at each other, half-laughing and half shaking our heads at them. The chorister, my friend Andrea, leaned over and politely made the "Shhh" sign to them, and asked them to "sing pretty", so they sat down in their seats, but Kylie kept singing the song with all her lungs. Well, Kortney wasn't about to be outdone, and since she is such the obedient child (ha ha), she not-so-politely asked Kylie to be quiet. Kylie paid no attention to her, and their teacher, who had a full class that day, was sitting too far away to do anything herself. So my Christ-like child started slapping her little friend's hands to make her quiet down. No one seemed to notice but me, or they did, but since I was in the room, no one did anything. I had to stop Kortney before she got carried away, because I knew she would, and the hitting wasn't even phasing Kylie. She just kept singing louder. After Kortney's next little slap, I crouched down and duck-walked up the aisle to the front, reached over, grabbed Kortney's hand, and told her to stop. Of course, everyone noticed that, and as I waddled back red-faced, I heard quite a few chuckles from the primary teachers. But the rest of sharing time was pretty peaceful, and a few teachers came up to me afterwards to welcome me into primary and tell me that they love the entertainment our girls provide each week . Every calling has a reason, and I think I've found mine.
3 comments:
I miss being in primary with Kortney because she is pretty entertaining but I do feel for you because I would be just as embarrassed.
We are so excited to have you in Primary! We already adore having Kortney in there! Be proud of your sunbeams, they are the best singers in Primary!
You will be awsome in primary!!! I never mind your sweet kourtney showing the rest of primary how to sing!!!:)
Post a Comment