Monday, August 27, 2007

"First day of school! First day of school!"

So it IS just preschool, but Kortney was just as excited as any kindergartener I know. We bought her supplies and her backpack last weekend, and all weekend she kept saying, "Can I just go to school now?" "I really want to go to school." "Is it Monday yet?" And finally, this morning she woke up, got dressed, kissed Taylor and Emmrie, and said, "Good-bye. You be good while I'm gone to school." It was hard to take the news that she wouldn't be going until after lunch. But FINALLY lunchtime came, she ate super fast, and luckily I found little things to keep her busy until it was time to finally get into the car. She said her second good-byes, and then we were off. She took her new teacher a picture that she drew and colored, and handed it to her the second she saw her. She went right to coloring, and I walked out. My neighbor, whose daughter is also going to the same preschool, picked her up and brought her home today. I was so excited to hear how her first day went. When I opened the front door for her, there she was with the biggest frown on her face. Okay, she IS very moody, but I wasn't expecting this at all. I looked at my friend with a question on my face, and she just said, "I got her to calm down in the car." I asked her what was wrong, and finally she told me that she was sad because she had missed me. I couldn't believe my little miss too-independent-to-let-me-hold-her-hand-in-public was shy and scared at school. She did tell me, though, that she does want to go back on Wednesday, so I hope she's just as excited for it then as she was today. She told me later this afternoon, as she brushed her forehead and gave a sigh, "It was a long day at school today!" Oh, to be busy like a four-year-old!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Yay for Kortney! Cute Pic. Cardon starts next week. He's excited too.

Lorena said...

Elena went to preschool before Cassie and Andrew. I took her into her room while I left Andrew and Cassie in the car (it was right in front of the classroom, no worries!) Elena went right in and never looked back. I was a little sad, but composed myself. Then I got in the car with her triplet siblings who started crying to me, "Elena, Elena, Mommy you can't leave Elena...we need Elena, get Elena." I lost it and cried the whole way home, along with them.

I hope Kortney is doing better now!