Monday, June 1, 2009

Girls. You've Got to be Kidding!

Emmrie came crying to me after she got out of the bathroom, holding up her pants to me. I thought, like usual, that she was frustrated because she couldn't get them on right. I've taught her that the tag goes in the back, or that the button goes on the front (she understands the button scenario better, because she can see that the whole time she's putting them on). Well, obviously she still has a hard time with it all.

I tried holding the pants myself so she could just step into them the right way, and she started freaking out on me, screaming words that I just couldn't make sense of. So I tried to calm her down to ask her what was wrong. Were the pants too tight? Were they scratching her? Did she want other pants? Did she want to do it herself? Was I looking at her wrong? What the heck, child? Finally I understood one word, "button". I told her, "There is no button on these pants, honey." She started freaking out again, and I held back a laugh because I finally understood. She was mad because there was no button to show her the front of the pants. So I held them up the right way and just said, "This is the right way. Put them on this way." She didn't want that. Obviously too easy. She kept crying, "mumble, garble, button! Blah, blah, button!" So I asked, "Do you want me to put a button on your pants?" Finally another word I understood, "yes." So, I got out my trusty sewing kit, she picked a button, and we added a new touch to some old and worn-several-times-before-without-any-issues pants.

I'm so looking forward to the teen years!



9 comments:

Blake and Breanna said...

Oh you have to love girl drama and the things that go through their minds!

brigette said...

If I were her, I would have picked a totally ridiculous, cute button... yep, yep, yep. :)

Kristen, Spencer, Brendan, Isaac, and Bryce said...

She's a girl who knows what she wants...that will serve her well in life even if it does drive you a little crazy now. :)

Heather R said...

Well- I guess she knows what she wants!! I glad you were able to figure it out. Great idea for you to sew on buttons!!

Sara S said...

Tandee, I love it! I just can't wait for some great memories to start like that for me. We have just entered into the magical land of potty training with my 2 year old. Wish us luck!

Carter Family said...

Little girls are just so dramatic! It's a good thing that you were able to help her fix her problem. Too funny.

Rylee's Mom said...

Isn't it so funny what they get into their heads. When their little minds are thinking a certain thing then that is what you have to think too!

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL that is awesome! For me to read... not so much for you. ;) She's so cute. :)

The Allens said...

That is so funny! The logic of kids is so crazy sometimes. How nice of you to sew a button on!