Friday, October 24, 2008

Potty-Training and Grape Juice

Neither was a hit.
Emmrie has been doing so good on her potty-training. Until yesterday. She wet every single pair of panties she owns. Plus some of her pants. I got sick of putting the pants back on her, so she walked around pants-less after a while. That was fun. Today she hasn't made it to the toilet all day. Again, she's pants-less and I even let her go naked from the waist down until I caught up on laundry. Several times I asked her (in my most excited voice) if she wanted to go potty and get a potty treat, and every time she would answer me (in her most excited voice), "No!" Then a few minutes later she'd walk over to me like a monkey, with her feet wide apart, saying, "Uh-oh, Mommy! I peed!" I began to think she thought it was funny. The last time it happened, I witnessed it all. There I was, at the sewing machine (I know- I'm so domestic), and she was standing on the concrete side of the laundry room floor (thankfully), then squatted down like a front lineman, bowed her head, and watched herself wet right through the panties. All you wonderfully loving and patient mothers who are reading this, please cover your eyes. I spanked her. She cried, and went naked until the laundry got dry.
So I went upstairs to get a drink.
I get frozen concentrate juices, and I like grape juice, but I always get the white kind, since we all know the joys of children with purple grape juice. But for some reason when I was at the store the other day, I thought I'd try the real grape juice- the purple kind. So today I decided to make it in a pitcher. I had already pulled the concentrate cans out of the freezer, and they had been sitting on the counter, thawing for a while by the time I finished spanking my daughter, cleaning her up, and feeding her brother. Oh, by the way, I was now holding and trying to burp a fussing Rhett, and figured I could multi-task. Just a quick suggestion for anyone wanting to try this at home: Don't. Just put the baby down. So I went to open the juice, and right as I'm popping off the lid, the whole icy can slipped right out of my hand and spilled all over the counter, dripped onto the floor and onto my shirt, pants and foot. The first thing out of my mouth was, "Of COURSE it had to be purple! Of COURSE!" I grabbed napkins to stop the dripping, then carefully walked to the swing to put Rhett down. Let me tell you- one can holds a lot of purple! I had to use a kitchen towel. It was beige. Now it's blue. Nothing stained but my clothes and my towel. We'll see how well they wash up. Now that all my laundry is done and I have to wait for another load. It took me a good 10 minutes to make sure I got all the syruppy mess out of my kitchen. Now my kitchen smells sweet, and my hands look like I tried to fingerprint both my palms. Emmrie walked her naked little bum upstairs right after I finished cleaning up the mess, saw the pitcher of juice, grabbed a cup, and knelt down on a stool at the counter to wait for some. I poured her a little bit, then went to grab her some dry panties. As I walked back to help her put them on, she spilled her cup of juice.
So, maybe on my next trip to the store, I'll try an extra pack of panties, and just skip the juice.

11 comments:

Kristen, Spencer, Brendan, Isaac, and Bryce said...

I feel your pain on the potty training...Brendan is only now being reliable about it and he is 4! I offered fabulous incentives and he just didn't want to (a fact that he reminded me of often). Fortunately Pre-K seems to have been the deciding factor that potties are ok after all. As for the grape juice, I suggest saving that for a time that all the kids are with grandparents and only adults are home.

Amberlee said...

Sounds like you had a great day :D One day you will be able to look back on that and laugh, but probably not for a very long time! And it's nice to know that you are a NORMAL mom who isn't patient 100%of the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That sounds like the worst day ever! Aren't blogs great though? 'Cause now you can take your moment to laugh at the whole thing instead of crying. :)

You sound like Superwoman btw. How in the world do you do so much!?

So nice hearing your "voice" - I've missed you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, man! I can totally relate! Jocelyn is just finally doing pretty good with the potty training, but still having accidents once in awhile.

Stephanie said...

What a great story! I absolutely hate potty training. Ruthie still wets sometimes, but luckily just in the bathroom in front of the toilet. I can not figure out why she wets right in front of the toilet. And I can't believe I am doing all this again! Starting over from scratch. We have been out of baby mode for so long. It's going to be really strange. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

William Walter & Mary Marrilla Scott said...

Tandee, I still have nightmares about potty training and my youngest is 6!!! I also never by purple grape juice, probably for the same reason you never will again. Hang in there kiddo!! It does get better, eventually!!

Anderson Clan said...

Hahahahaha! Hey, I'm just impressed that the worst thing out of your mouth was "OF COURSE it had to be purple!" And spanking! Tandee! I think I might call CPS on you. :)

Truth be known, I've actually taken to turning the locks around on their bedroom doors and locking them in until I calm down enough to refrain from strangling them. I've even turned the lock around on the main floor bathroom door for Devon these days. Jeff came home one day, saw the lock, and said, "Rach! Now where are people who come over supposed to use the bathroom?" I say that if they are brave enough to come in our house, then they are brave enough to chance a child walking in on them. :)

Thanks for the story. It made me laugh!

lundgrenville said...

I feel your pain when it comes to potty training. Bryson will not let go potty in the toilet, and he hates to be changed. He always sticks his hands in his pants gets them all dirty with, yep you guessed it POOP...and then tells me he needs to be changed...oh and since I am writing this, he just pooped on my floor. Gotta go! :)

Christina and Jeff said...

This story is just too cute!!! I love the purple juice!!!

Summer said...

Hi its Summer! Your blog is so cute! Your baby boy is so cute i hope the potty training goes good!

Natalie said...

You have the funniest stories! I always have a good laugh at the way you describe situations! Miss you!