Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow - Here to stay?



It's December, and we finally got some real snow yesterday. I'm grateful it took this long for it to stick. It's been a nice fall. Kortney and Taylor were so excited to get out and play in it. I realized I still haven't gotten a snowsuit for Taylor, so I didn't put Kortney in hers, either, and they both ran around in their jeans, which were soaked from the knee down (and on the bum) when I finally made them come inside. They had a blast running, falling, catching snowflakes on their tongues, throwing snow up in the air, and of course, eating it. It was the perfect day to play, except that it was too dry to make a snowman. Kortney tried shoveling the driveway, which blended into to the lawn that she started scraping up, so I made her stop. Kali, our dog, ran back and forth through it like her tail was on fire. I was the first to get cold, so after basically dragging them inside, we got them into new clothes, mopped the puddles up all over the floor, and let them wind down with warm soup for lunch. I wish every winter day could be so nice.

The Lord's Hand in My Life:
We were trying to catch snowflakes on our tongues, and as they fell on our gloves, I showed Kortney how each little snowflake has so much detail- even more than the paper ones we had cut out the night before. It was so interesting to me. Not growing up with snow, I've noticed certain things that I've never experienced before. I can't help but think of why we have so many little beautiful details in life. Why is a tiny snowflake so perfect? Why is falling snow so peaceful and quiet? Why does fresh snow look so clean (and good enough to eat)? It has to be a loving Heavenly Father who thought of all the little details ahead of time, to make this life so much more than just a trial, but a time to experience and learn things on our own. He wants us to have joy in learning and discovering new things, so He puts them in front of us for us to notice and observe. I'm grateful for His love and His detail to life.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I never think to point those things out to my kids! I guess having grown up in the snow I take it for granted a little bit :) I will be sure to point it out next time! Thanks for the reminder about each snowflake being unique and ornate.

Cossebooms said...

How fun!! Looks like they had a fun time. Obviously we don't get snow, but it's been raining for a couple days now and rained last weekend. It's about 46 degrees outside. And for us that's cold. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Cossebooms said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorena said...

Yeah, like Heidi said, it has been raining and has been COLD! The kids asked me about rain and I told them about how it is snow in other places. The yelled..."We want snow!" Sorry kiddos, not in the desert! Enjoy!

Stacy said...

Your message was touching. I love the snow pictures!

Carter Family said...

I miss the snow sometimes. Its so beautiful and peaceful to watch it fall to the ground. It looks like your girls are sure enjoying it. Jared was telling me what things remind him of Christmas last night and he said the snow. Hmmm I wonder if he means the snow he sees on television? Have fun! Go sledding for me, I miss being able to do that. Guess we need to visit Flagstaff.