Friday, December 5, 2008

I Should Be Sad...


... but I'm not.

Hershey has now been M.I.A. for a whole week. Our garage has been clean for a whole week! I have not had to throw out any mangled Barbie toys for a whole week, and he has not woken me up in the middle of the night to go outside to bark at everything for a whole week! I have not put up a single "Lost" poster (aka "Wanted" ad), we haven't checked the pound, because I'm afraid he might be there, and we didn't even mention anything to Kortney about him being gone until she finally said she missed him FOUR DAYS LATER! And I haven't heard another word about him since. See, in my eyes, the whole problem here is that Hershey isn't spayed. We've been meaning to get it done, since he's such a casanova, but then we have to make sure he's current on his vaccines first, and honestly, he's not. Somehow the dogs are just not our top priority. Please don't hate me, all you animal rights activists! We love animals, but we are so not the best dog owners. Good thing Kali is still a good dog despite it all. We'll keep her forever. But anyway, last time he landed himself in the slammer, it cost us as much money to bail him out of there as we originally paid for him, so basically we paid for him twice. Way too much. Well, he came home with a new registration tag that he broke off his collar the next month, and we never got it back on him. I blame his escapes on the fact that he's not spayed, and I will never own another male dog again. So, I called the pound to ask how much it costs to adopt a dog. You know what I found out (and this is FYI for anyone who needs to spay or neuter their own dog- at least in Idaho)? It would cost us more money to bail him out again, and then spay him, than it would to just go in, pretend we don't know him, and "adopt" him, because they'll do the spaying for us! What a good idea (so, just let someone take your dog in as a stray, then go in and adopt him/her the next day, and it'll all be taken care of! Vaccines not included, though). Sad thing is, what turned me off of the whole idea is that the county puts a chip in all the animals they adopt out. What if the spaying doesn't fix him, and he still poops in the garage (let me just tell you: clean garage = happy husband), then runs away, and gets picked up again? By that point I'll want to just leave him at the pound forever, but then they'll find out that he's ours, and make us take him back! So I live with the guilt of never knowing if he made it there. If anyone wants him, go check the pound. He's a good dog. He's housebroken. Most of the time. Just don't let him in your garage.

11 comments:

Christina and Jeff said...

You are cracking me up!!! I'm sorry about your dog but the way you're telling it is SO FUNNY!!!!

Cossebooms said...

Well, it sounds like this dog was a lot of work for you. And you have enjoyed his absence. Maybe he'll wander back some time, wouldn't you love that?

Kunz fam said...

Too funny! I like how you think. I guess it's kind of a bitter sweet moment for your family. Funny how she noticed 4 days later. I love it!

Stephanie said...

I always thought I wanted a dog, but since we've had our kitty now for a week, I'm seeing why people like them. The whole kitty litter thing is awesome, and they do it all on their own, no training required. Ruthie let her out by accident this morning and she came back a little while later. I thought it was great what you said about adopting him back. That's hilarious! Pets are a fun family adventure, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you make me laugh!!! I don't blame you, I think I'd feel the same way:)

Unknown said...

Hey, is Kali back to her old self again now that he's gone? :D Added bonus :) I totally understand the poopies in the garage though.... ugh.

lundgrenville said...

Hilarious! So sorry about the dog! :)

Anonymous said...

Tandee I so know how you feel about the dog, if ours ran away I would be ok with that too. I do hope he is okay.

Porters said...

Don't worry about it, if a dog is that much work and stress let it be someone elses problem. But I have kids too and I know you would only get him back for them. We thought about getting a second dog but I think it would turn our house into a 24 hour circus, with me doing all the work!
Good choice!

Janell said...

Hi there, my long-lost friend! It's good to find your blog. Your little family is gorgeous! :)
-jd

Stacy said...

Oh I just laughed when I read this! You don't have to feel guilty! I think you shouldn't even mention the dog to the girls. Don't let them plead their way into another dog either!