Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Life Without a Dishwasher

I've had a broken dishwasher for about a week now. I know, all you busy moms think, "Why in the world did you go a whole week without a dishwasher??" Well, I realized it was broken after I needed to empty it in order to put another two sinkfuls of dirty dishes in it. Everything inside was all still greasy and nasty. So I ran it once more, thinking I had forgotten to run it earlier (which I do often). I realized a little light was blinking on it, and when I tried to restart it, it didn't do anything. All I could think was, "NOT today!" Of all days, this was one of the worst dish pile-ups I'd ever had! And we've only had the dishwasher for 3 years! Should a dishwasher really break after 3 years? It's not like I make it work too hard! I feel old when I say they just don't make things like they used to. So, Neil turned off the breaker, and back on to see if it just needed to reset itself. It didn't change anything. I was in denial. It couldn't be broken. So he tried it two different times. But, I eventually gave up and gave in to handwashing everything. Tomorrow. So, tomorrow, after I broke down in an emotional mess due to the impending task, I stood way too long washing way too many dishes, thinking way too much about the fact that we have it way too easy these days. We're so put out if an appliance breaks. I thought about my ancestors, and how they must laugh when I grumble about washing dishes by hand. How did mothers back then, with kids the ages of my kids, as pregnant as me, have any time for themselves or their kids or husbands between making meals (from scratch!), washing dishes (without running water), cleaning house, hand-washing clothes (and diapers!), gardening, feeding animals, and milking cows? I really was humbled that day, sitting there with my skyscraper of pots and pans. I told myself again, "that's why I'm not a pioneer woman. I wouldn't be able to hack it."
So, back to the dishwasher. After reheating leftovers for a few nights, and making easy, no-mess meals to avoid another tower of dishes, Neil looked at the sticker inside the dishwasher and told me, "You know, we should probably call this number to see what we need to do to get this fixed." (translation: "Hey, call the stinkin' number already, and get the dang thing fixed, because I'm sick of leftovers, and I'm running out of excuses to not help you with the dishes anymore.") So this morning I called the 1-800 number, and after I finally got a real person, I told him about the blinking light. He told me that it was a code to say that something was wrong. Oh, really? Thanks. He gave me the number for the Whirlpool nationwide repair company, and told me they would charge $65.00 to come diagnose the problem. Great. I get to pay the company just to tell me my dishwasher is broken, and then extra for any fixes, or parts I might need. But the guy on the phone said the complete warranty wasn't up, so it might cover the cost of some parts (well, that's comforting), and I asked him for other local numbers he had that I could call. I asked the first local company their charge for coming out, and the guy that answered asked what the problem was. I explained, and I thought he would then tell me their rate. Instead, he told me, "On your dishwasher, try pushing this button, then this other, and then both in sequence again." So I did like he told me, and all of a sudden the dishwasher turned on! He said it would go through a test cycle, then should be fine. So I hung up with him, checked the dishwasher 5 minutes later, and saw no blinking light! Now, just a crazy question: Why didn't Whirlpool ask me to try that??! Well, I put my unwashed breakfast and lunch dishes in, turned it on, and guess what? My dishwasher works! Oh, how I took for granted that wonderful appliance!
Peace has been restored to our home! Seriously. Neil and the girls must be so happy to know that this emotional pregnant woman can now rest a little easier -- and let them rest a little, too.

The Lord's Hand in My Life:
I'm grateful that there are still good, honest people in the world, who choose to help out, not to take advantage of the unknowledgeable for money or for recognition, but simply because they know they can help, and it's the right thing to do.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you didn't have to dish out the moola for a simple fix! And yes things should last longer... my vaccuum broke this last weekend... It's less than 2 years old dangit!!!! :P

P.S. I picked on you on my blog today :)

Cossebooms said...

I'm glad your dishwasher works again. And that was so kind of that guy to help you out over the phone instead of charging you to come out and do that. There are nice people out there. Now take it easy, let the dishwasher do its job and put your feet up.

Amberlee said...

I have thought that same thing many times- What would I do if I lived in pioneer times? I'm certainly glad that Heavenly Father let me come during the time of appliances, showers, toilets and electronics!!!! I'm glad you got your dishwasher running again. That must have been a major pain.

Lorena said...

What a nice guy! It is so great that there are still good people out there.

When the triplets were babies, we lived in a BYU apartment and didn't have a dishwasher. So, you can imagine having to hand wash that many baby bottles.

One day I just cried and cried because washing dishes was what I did for the entire time the triplets were napping and then when I was done, they were up.

Anyway, that night Dane came home with a portable dishwasher. I still dream about that machine. I loved it!

Cami said...

I'm glad it was an easy fix! I too would go crazy without a dish washer. I went too long without one when we were first married--it's hard to want to cook when you're trying to save yourself from all the washing!

Erin said...

Oh Tandee, I am soo feelin' you. My dishwasher has been making a terrible noise for about a week now. I told Trevor it was on the way out and he said just use it til it is gone. It is just a few years old, but I got it kinda second hand from some house Trevor was working in and they wanted to change it out. Pray that your good dishwasher luck may be passed my way too

Christina and Jeff said...

Hi Tandee!!! It's me, Christina Otto, well, Flack now!! I came across your blog when I was looking at my friends blog and saw a picture of your family on it!! I think your blog is SO CUTE!!! Tawnya told me you're having a boy and I'm so happy for you! I miss you!!!

Queen Creek Chaffee's said...

We dont realize how good we have it. You are amazing. Fun blog

Christina and Jeff said...

I'm so glad I found you too!!! What is your email? Mine is christinaflack_dance78@yahoo.com
I love your blog!!

Anonymous said...

So many times I sit back and wonder what the pioneers would think of us! I know if I were thrown back into time, the pioneers would be amazed at how little I could accomplish without all of my modern day tools:) We take so many things for granted until they are broken . . . I will be more grateful for my dishwasher today!!!!!

Carter Family said...

I wonder if the repair guy gets that problem all of the time? I am glad that it si working for you. Nothing worse then no clean dishes to eat off of and having to wash them by hand.

Sara Hollobaugh said...

I am so glad it is fixed. I hate blinking lights. I thnk my husband would have immediately gont to the internet and typed in the info to find out what was wrong. He prides himself in being able to fix things. On our side by side fridge/freezer it was not working, needless to say he fixed/replaces, every little thing that it could be. It cost us $125 total, the last thing he replaces was the problem and that part was $15. Oh well, now those others are new too. We sure do not have the $$$ to pay someone to come out for $50-100 per hour and + parts!!! Although we lost some money in groceries, BUT I got to clean my fridge too!!! SO GLAD IT IS WORKING NOW!!!!

Stacy said...

That sucks! So glad you got it fixed.

Andrea said...

I don't think that I could go that long without a dish washer...in fact Derik was just telling me that I have grown accustomed to little things, that I used to live without.

lundgrenville said...

Hey Tandee-

I finally got down farther on your blog...Sorry to hear about your dishwasher...
I have a confession, Saul & I have only used our dishwasher probably a dozen times in the 7 years that we have been married...shocking, I know..I grew up washing dishes & so did he, so we use our dishwasher as a dishdrain...lol