Monday, September 24, 2007

Kortney Quotes

I just thought, since nothing has been exciting enough to be considered blog-worthy the past few days, that I would add a few funny quotes that I've written over the past talkable years of Kortney's life. Here are some of my favorites:

Neil, if ever he is found sitting or laying down, tells us he's being "a lazy butt". One day, when Kortney was 2-1/2 years old, she must've exhausted herself, so she walked over to the couch, plopped her face and tummy down on it, and sighed out a big, "My butt is being lazy!"

I took Kortney shopping just before her 3rd birthday, and at the check-out, as usual, Kortney cheerfully greeted the cashier with, "Hi! I'm Kortney!" The cashier smiled and said "hi" back, and asked Kortney how old she was. She answered, "I'm two. I'm having a birthday." So the cashier asked her, "How old will you be on your birthday?" Since we had practiced the answer to this very question several times at home, I was confident she could not be stumped. But she paused as the wheels turned in her head, and then she wisely answered, "thirty-nine!"

Neil often tells the girls not to grow up too fast, and to stay little, and Kortney loves being daddy's little girl. One night, as he was helping her say her prayers, he prompted her to repeat, "...please bless me to grow big and strong...". Kortney grunted her frustration as she revised it saying, "Please bless me not to grow big."

We have a rule in our house that we (meaning the girls) are not allowed up on the counter, because it drives me crazy. One evening, as Neil was talking to me in the kitchen, he hopped up onto the counter in the middle of the conversation. Kortney interrupted him to scold him, "Papi, we don't sit on counters." He defended himself by saying, "It's because I have a big butt." Kortney thought that was the funniest thing, so she giggled and added, "You have a big head, too!"

Neil asked Kortney and Taylor one day, "How did you guys get to be so cute?" Kortney, our all-knowing child answered, "Because. That's just how Heavenly Father and Jesus wanted us to be."

I was eight months pregnant with Emmrie, so Kortney was 3-1/2, and out of the blue one day she greeted me with, "Hey, fat Mamma!"

Neil and Kortney were looking at an "Old Macdonald" book together one day, and when they came to the cow, Neil asked, "Kortney, where do we get milk?" Kortney, in her "Duh, Dad" voice, answered, "Out - of - a - jug!"

One week we had a family home evening lesson on a very appropriate topic for our family's needs: reverence. Neil did a good job talking about ways we can be reverent during church, and how we could think of Christ as we take the sacrament. At the end of the lesson, he said, "I think I can be more reverent during the sacrament." So I said, "I think I can, too." We both looked at Kortney to wait for her to chime in. She gave a little crooked grin and said, "I think I can't."

Recently Kortney wanted to make purple kool-aid, so Neil got it out, and mentioned that he likes grape kool-aid, too. Kortney got mad and told him that it's not "grape", it's "purple". He told her that grape is purple. She didn't want to believe it, so they "argued" back and forth, as Neil tried to convince Kortney that he was right. Finally, using his fatherly authority, Neil looked at Kortney and asked, "Kortney, who's the smartest? Who knows the most?" She quickly answered, "Mommy."

4 comments:

Queen Creek Chaffee's said...

Thies are great stories, and it sounds like you guys have a pretty cool dad to be that involved with the kids.

Angie said...

What a fun read!

Angie said...

Ha! The 2 year old who did that in Jenna's room...A GIRL! It was my 2 year old neice. My boys wouldn't do that. They're angels:) Just kiding. It really was my neice tho.

Andrea said...

That is so cute, I need to write some of that kind of stuff down!!!